Refereed Conference Papers
- Predicting Intervention Onset in the ICU with Switching State Space Models
Marzyeh Ghassemi*, Mike Wu*, Michael C. Hughes*, Peter Szolovits, and Finale Doshi-Velez
Proceedings of the AMIA Summit on Clinical Research Informatics (CRI), 2017
Download Preprint. Nominated for Best Paper.
- Uncovering Voice Misuse Using Symbolic Mismatch
Marzyeh Ghassemi, Zeeshan Syed, Daryush D. Mehta, Jarrad H. Van Stan, Robert E. Hillman, and John V. Guttag
MLHC 2016, Los Angeles, CA. (33% Acceptance Rate)
Proceedings of the 1st Machine Learning for Healthcare Conference, pp. 239–252, 2016
JMLR Workshop and Conference Track Volume 56
Featured in MIT News!
- Prediction Using Patient Comparison vs. Modeling: A Case Study for Mortality Prediction
Mark Hoogendoorn, Ali el Hassouni, Kwongyen Mok, Marzyeh Ghassemi, Peter Szolovits
EMBC 2016, Orlando, FL
- A Multivariate Timeseries Modeling Approach to Severity of Illness Assessment
and Forecasting in ICU with Sparse, Heterogeneous Clinical Data
Marzyeh Ghassemi*, Marco A.F. Pimentel*, Tristan Naumann, Thomas Brennan, David A. Clifton, Peter Szolovits, Mengling Feng
AAAI 2015, Austin, TX (27% Acceptance Rate)
- Unfolding Physiological State: Mortality Modelling in Intensive Care Units
Marzyeh Ghassemi, Tristan Naumann, Finale Doshi-Velez, Nicole Brimmer, Rohit Joshi, Anna Rumshisky, and Peter Szolovits
KDD 2014, New York City, NY (15% Acceptance Rate)
Download Preprint; Download Slides. See the Video.
- Predicting early psychiatric readmission with natural language processing of narrative discharge summaries
Anna Rumshisky, Marzyeh Ghassemi, Tristan Naumann, Peter Szolovits, Victor Castro, Thomas McCoy and Roy Perlis
Translational Psychiatry (2016) 6, e921; doi:10.1038
View Online; Download Preprint.
- Understanding vasopressor intervention and weaning: Risk prediction in a public heterogeneous clinical time series database
Marzyeh Ghassemi*, Mike Wu*, Mengling Feng, Leo A. Celi, Peter Szolovits, Finale Doshi-Velez
Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association (JAMIA) 2016
View Online; Download Preprint.
- Using ambulatory voice monitoring to investigate common voice disorders: Research update
Daryush Mehta, Jarrad H. Van Stan, Matias Zañartu, Marzyeh Ghassemi, et al.
Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, in press, 2015.
View Open Access. Download Preprint.
- State of the art review: the data revolution in critical care
Marzyeh Ghassemi, Leo Anthony Celi and David J Stone
Critical Care 2015, vol 19, no. 118.
View Open Access. Download PDF.
- Short-Term Mortality Prediction for Elderly Patients Using Medicare Claims Data
Maggie Makar, Marzyeh Ghassemi, David M. Cutler, and Ziad Obermeyer
International Journal of Machine Learning and Computing vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 192-197, 2015.
- Making Big Data Useful for Health Care: A Summary of the Inaugural MIT Critical Data Conference
Marzyeh Ghassemi**, et al.
** All authors were members of the MIT Critical Data Conference 2014 Organizing Committee, and names were listed alphabetically.
JMIR Med Inform 2014;2(2):e22; PMID 25600172; PMCID PMC4288071
Learning to detect vocal hyperfunction from ambulatory necksurface acceleration features: Initial results for vocal fold nodules
Marzyeh Ghassemi, Jarrad H. Van Stan, Daryush D. Mehta, Matías Zañartu, Harold A. Cheyne II, Robert E. Hillman, and John V. Guttag
IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering Volume 61, Issue 6, Page: 1668–1675 as TBME.2013.2297372
Selected for a TBME Spotlight; Cited 10 times in the following year.
- Long-Term Outcomes of Minor Troponin Elevations in the Intensive Care Unit
Marzyeh Ghassemi*, Adrian Velasquez*, Peter Szolovits, Shinhyuk Park, Juan Osorio, Andre Dejam, and Leo A. Celi
Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Journal, 2014 May;42(3):356-64.
- Leveraging a critical care database: SSRI use prior to icu admission is associated with increased hospital mortality
Marzyeh Ghassemi, John Marshall, Nakul Singh, David J. Stone, Leo A. Celi
CHEST Journal as Chest. 2013/chest.13-1722.
Refereed Workshop Proceedings
- An Open Benchmark for Causal Inference Using the MIMIC-III Dataset
Leo A. Celi, Ken Jung, Marzyeh Ghassemi, Carlos Guzman, Uri Shalit, David Sontag
OHDSI Collaborator Showcase in OHDSI Symposium
Washington DC, September 23 2016
Download OHDSI Poster; Download OHDSI Abstract
- Confirming the themes and interpretive unity of Ghazal poetry using topic models
Ehsaneddin Asgari, Marzyeh Ghassemi and Mark Finlayson
NIPS 2013 Workshop on Topic Models: Computation, Application, and Evaluation
Download NIPS 2013 Workshop Paper
- Detecting Voice Modes for Vocal Hyperfunction Prevention
Marzyeh Ghassemi, Eugene Shih, Daryush Mehta, Shengran Feng, Jarrad Van Stan, Robert Hillman, John Guttag
WiML/NIPS 2012 Workshop
Download NIPS 2012 Poster
- Topic Models for Mortality Modeling in Intensive Care Units
Marzyeh Ghassemi, Tristan Naumann, Rohit Joshi, Anna Rumshisky
ICML 2012 Machine Learning for Clinical Data Analysis Workshop
Download ICML 2012 Workshop Paper
Theses & Book Chapters
- Data Analysis.
Jesse D. Raffa, Marzyeh Ghassemi, Tristan Naumann, Mengling Feng, and Douglas Hsu. "Data Analysis." In Secondary Analysis of Electronic Health Records, pp. 205-261. Springer International Publishing, 2016.
Download PDF or View Chapter
- State of the Art Review: The Data Revolution in Critical Care
Marzyeh Ghassemi, David J. Stone, Leo A. Celi
Annual Update in Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine 2015. Springer International Publishing, 2015. 573-586
- Methods and Models for Acute Hypotensive Episode Prediction
Oxford University MSc Thesis
Download MSc Thesis
Invited Talks & Presentations
- AMIA Ignite, Chicago, IL
Nov. 15, 2016
Ignite Talk on "How Machine Learning Can Change Health"
- UT Austin ECE Department, Austin, TX
Nov 19, 2015
Invited Seminar in ECE/Guest Lecture in EE381V
- RisingStars, MIT Cambridge, MA
Nov 9/10, 2015
Presentation on "Estimating the Response and Effect of Clinical Interventions".
- INFORMS, Philadelphia, PA
Nov 2, 2015
Invited Talk on "Unfolding Physiological State: Mortality Modelling in Intensive Care Units"
- MUCMD, Los Angeles, CA
August 8, 2015
Invited Talk on "Understanding Ventilation from Multi-Variate ICU Time Series"
- NLM/NIH Informatics Training Conference, Rockville, MD
June 23-24, 2015
Open Mic session on "Severity of Illness Assessment and Forecasting in ICU with Sparse, Heterogeneous Clinical Data".
- CSAIL Data to Insights Workshop, Cambridge, MA
May 21, 2015
Tutorial on "Inductive Data Investigation: From ugly clinical data to KDD 2014".
- Hack/Reduce, Cambridge, MA
February 23, 2015
Invited Talk on "Physiological Acuity Modelling with (Ugly) Temporal Clinical Data".
Susan Thompson, Katherine Ong, Marzyeh Ghassemi
Collaborated on Gala Pump compression-based prototype that provides greater comfort and efficiency over traditional breast pumps.
First place winner of the MIT $100K Accelerate $10,000 Daniel M. Lewin Accelerate Prize
- Probabilistically Populated Medical Record Templates: Reducing Clinical Documentation Time Using Patient Cooperation
Tristan Naumann, Marzyeh Ghassemi, Andreea Bodnari, Rohit Joshi
Third Place Prize Winners
AMIA 2013 Student Design Challenge: Reinventing Clinical Documentation
- Sana Audiopulse
Sana Audiopulse is a student-led effort using the Sana platform to create a portable flexible hearing screening app that integrates with gold-standard DPOAE/TBAOE/ABR screening hardware.
First Place winner at the 2012 GSMA Mobile Health Student Challenge in Cape Town!
First Place winner at MIT Sloan-ILP Innovators Showcase, as written up by the Boston Business Journal!
For more information, you can check out: http://sana.mit.edu/audiopulse/, or read the MIT article.
(*) These authors contributed equally, and should be considered co-first authors.